Monday, July 4, 2011

Red, Red and Red


Tank: H&M
Skirt: thrifted
Belt: thrifted
Shoes: thrifted

Sometimes I like to follow a sort of “rule of threes” with an outfit — in this case with red lipstick, a red belt and red shoes. I know this outfit is pretty over-the-top red, white and blue, but I like those colors together! And I’ve been telling myself for months that I’d wear this flouncy blue skirt on the 4th of July. I tend to avoid reaching for it even though it’s full and pretty, I think because it feels a little too country for me. I mean, it is a square dance skirt, after all.

I’ve gone to parties the last two days, which has been a lot of fun, but I’m glad to finally be relaxing at home. Yesterday my brother Trevor and I went to a party hosted by my friends Rachel, Federico and Marcos, whom I hadn’t seen in about three years. Fede and Marc are brothers, Rachel is Fede’s wife, and I used to work with Rachel, Fede and Fede and Marc’s sister Cecilia at the Edwards Rancho 6 movie theater back when I was a teenager. I also found out this weekend that Cecilia and her husband are having a baby in August! Unfortunately they couldn’t make it to the party, but I really want to go visit them.

Today Jasen, Jasen’s mom, Trevor and I went to a barbecue at my Aunt Ann and Uncle Jim’s up in the high desert. It was CRAZY hot, and as we were leaving a thunderstorm suddenly started pouring heavy rain. I was kind of afraid there would be a flash flood, but it wasn’t that bad. It was so nice to feel and smell the rain after baking in 100-degree heat.  


14 comments:

  1. I LOVE everything about this outfit! The skirt is so pretty:)

    http://thelittlepetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this outfit, especially the skirt! I think flouncy and a little square dance is probably my style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound like the barbecue circuit is perfect for you dance-y skirt. you look so cute. Thanks for the tip on the rule of threes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the red lipstick and your pretty blue skirt! I can't get enough of red paired with blue these days, so I love this outfit. Plus it looks nice and breezy for a hot day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning outfit I love it especially your 3 reds they make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This outfit is amazing! 4th of july apart, red, white and blue is my favourite colour combination and you look amazing in this. I think your rule of 3 gives it a nice balance. And the skirt is amazing.

    Oh and the smell after pouring rain in super hot weather is one of the best things about summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe, I love your square dance skirt! That is such a nice 4th of July party outfit! I have always secretly wanted to go to a square dance :)

    Glad you had fun at your parties!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute rule of threes! aww. You look beautiful in this sweet outfit of yours!! nice job. That's great that you were able to spend all that time with people you haven't seen in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a perfect Fourth outfit and I love that skirt...maybe its cause I am from the South but square dancing skirts are way cool in my book

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love red, white, and blue together, especially on the Fourth. I feel so festive! The flouncy skirt is just darling, and I think your "rule of 3's" works quite nicely with it!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This outfit isn't over-the-top at all! Over-the-top would be an American flag print jumpsuit or something. Hehe, anyway, this is a really pretty 4th of July outfit. Mine was kind of a bust, so I didn't bother taking pictures of it. I liked it, but it was more ''meh'' rather than ''yes, I'd wear this again.''

    For whatever reason I have a strange affinity for square dance clothing. I hardly ever wear the stuff and I don't square dance, but I can't seem to get enough of the ruffles! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. adorable outfit. i love every single piece of it.

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your patriotic outfit! That skirt is great, and I don't think it's too country. I'm glad that you had a break from the heat...sometimes a nice rainstorm from out of nowhere is a great summer treat!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...