Monday, March 21, 2011

Fun with Layers


Dress: Forever 21
Top: Urban Outfitters
Belt: thrifted, Axiom
Tights: For Love 21
Bag: Tignanello, found at Marshalls
Shoes: Jessica Simpson

On this rainy morning I decided to get a little more creative and try a print mix. I’ve been loving stripes with florals on other bloggers, and I started my outfit with this dress because it’s floral but warm enough for the stormy weather we’ve been having. I have a few striped tops, but I chose this one because of the color, puffed sleeves and thin material that layers easily. This dress came with a black belt, but I replaced it with my white thrifted belt so the dress would tie in better with the top. I kind of wish I had pink shoes to wear with this outfit, like this pair from Urban:


Maybe that would be too much, though. I also have to mention that Amanda’s style at The Upside of Wonder definitely influenced my decision to layer a dress with a top. I love all her adorable “dress as jumper” looks. This is one of my favorites.

I mentioned in my last post that I went to see Battle: Los Angeles with Jasen and my brothers. It was much more of a war movie than I expected, without a lot of emphasis on the creepy, weird, foreboding and, well, alien behavior of the extraterrestrial invaders. The aliens are mainly just super powerful and aggressive.

The plot was standard, but for an action movie it did a pretty good job of keeping you aware of where everyone was and what was going on. I tend to zone out while watching action films as they turn into a big blur of bullets, but I was entertained throughout this one. The aliens were satisfyingly scary and of the biomechanical variety. The melodramatic scenes meant to help you connect with the characters emotionally made us laugh out loud several times. I especially liked Aaron Eckhart’s delivery of the awful line “It’s like the punchline to a bad joke!” (I think I got that right.)

So if you like alien invasion or war movies, you’ll probably enjoy Battle: Los Angeles, but the plot is nothing new and the aliens are what you’d expect. At the end, the protagonists are basically shooting and launching grenades all over the place while writhing in a pile of rubble. It was worth paying $5 to see.





8 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this outfit it looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New to your blog, I think it's great!! I'm into thrifted fashion as well!!

    http://rachelparrishthethought.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ADORE this outfit!!!! So funky and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I'm a big fan of layering shirts under dresses. Stripes and florals mix so well!
    M xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I would like to be able to pull of this look, but I always look bulky and am afraid to layer!

    Also: "The melodramatic scenes meant to help you connect with the characters emotionally made us laugh out loud several times."

    THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comment! I'm loving this outfit, you look amazing! I love the floral print with stripes, you pull it off so well =)
    http://xrebelangelx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your choice of mixing prints. You can never go wrong with stripes and florals :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would never think of mixing florals and stripes but it looks great on you. I need to get more daring.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...